I usually show a video the week we go on a break, so here are the plans for the week of April 14, 2014, Spring Break Eve.
- Spring for Sports/Harrison/Media Skills
- Finding books about sports in the media center
American Association of School Librarians, “Standards for the 21st Century Learner:
- 1.1.6, Read, view, and listen for information presented in any format… in order to make inferences and gather meaning.
Dearborn Public Schools Department of Media Services, K-12 Information Literacy Media Curriculum, 2004:
- Students will identify appropriate human, print, technological and electronic resources to access information
Michigan Department of Education, K-8 GLCE English Language Arts:
- R.NT.[xx].05 respond to individual and multiple texts by finding evidence, discussing, illustrating, and/or writing to reflect, make meaning, and make connections.
- Review: DVDs, media
- New: Sports, baseball
Arthur the Good Sport. Dir. Paul Higgins. Perf. Melissa Altro, Jodie Resther, Daniel Brochu. Sony Wonder (Video), 2002.
Peanuts – Lucy Must Be Traded, Charlie Brown. Dir. Sam Jaimes. Perf. Travis Boles, John Christian Graas, Gregory Grudt. Paramount, 1966.
Snoopy Double Feature Vol. 8 (Charlie Brown’s All-Stars/It’s Spring Training, Charlie Brown) [VHS]. Dir. Sam Jaimes. Perf. Travis Boles, John Christian Graas, Gregory Grudt. Paramount, 1997.
The Magic School Bus – Super Sports Fun. Dir. Larry Jacobs. Perf. Lily Tomlin, Daniel DeSanto, Erica Luttrell. Warner Home Video, 2004.
- Adaptation of content
- Links to background
- Links to past learning
- Strategies incorporated
- Comprehensible input
Integration of Processes:
- Linked to objectives
- Promotes engagement
- Review the nonfiction section of the media center and what kinds of books can be found there.
- Show students books from the sports section of the library (796), specifically books about baseball. Point out the numbers on the spine label of each book.
Instruction/Check for Understanding:
- Review what students remember about being good audience members. Review the procedures for watching a movie: Sitting still, no talking.
- Show the class one of the videos above. Kindergarten: Arthur, 1st and 2nd: Peanuts, and 3rd: Magic School Bus.
Preview for Next Week:
- Tell students we will read more books after Spring Break next week.